Dixon University Center was once the home of the Harrisburg Academy, whose leaders built the five historic
structures on the grounds today. The Academy maintained the location until 1941, when the War Department took
over the facility. Since 1956, the Center has functioned in various configurations as an educational consortium.
In 1987, the Center's Board of Directors - a community corporation - invited the State System of Higher Education
(the 14 publicly owned universities) to lead the University Center at Harrisburg consortium and insure continuation
of its higher education mission.
PASSHE began operating the six-and-one-half-acre site under a lease/purchase agreement in 1988,
and purchased the site in 1991. In 1993, the PASSHE Board of Governors acknowledged the leadership and
generosity of its founding chairman, F. Eugene Dixon, Jr., by renaming the Center in his honor.
PASSHE's acquisition of the early twentieth century facility demonstrates a commitment to bring
educational programs and opportunities to the Harrisburg area that the 14 universities have provided
throughout the Commonwealth for over 150 years. Under PASSHE's stewardship, the five original structures
were renovated and an Administration Building constructed to make the facility adequate for classroom
instruction and business purposes.
Dixon University Center is foremost an academic and governance center, providing area residents the
advantages of both public and private institutions. An expansive menu of undergraduate, graduate and
certificate programs, professional development, and customized training that are offered on-site by a consortium
of PASSHE universities and private colleges and universities for adult students, in the evenings and on weekends.
The Center is also a cultural resource, a testing ground for new technology, and a community gathering place.
For a complete listing of degree programs and offerings go to Academic Programs.
2986 North Second Street | Harrisburg, PA 17110-1201 | 717.720.4080 | www.DixonUniversityCenter.org